Tuesday, June 28, 2005

I don't know

The streets cleared themselves of rubble. The debris was deftly washed away. It had been only the day before that the world was calm. The tumult had passed, the dice had been thrown and nothing was the same. On that day I stood alone, surrounded by machines of my own making.
Watching them return my city back to the pristine order and cleanliness it never really knew, I wondered if my phone still worked.
I should call someone, I thought, Carla perhaps.
Carla and I had been dating off and on for the past year or so. She worked at the university as a desk clerk. We met in the spring. It had been a beautiful week, the smog had all been blown out to sea and the sky was a brilliant azure.
It is not that clear today though.
The phone was dead inside the apartment but the lights worked, The power p

No comments: